connecting the dots
I am a graduate student working with Philip Guo in the Design Lab at UC San Diego, to create user-centered systems to help people program and design effectively at scale.
Here is an outline of (the different areas of) my work:
- Video interactions: reimagining interfaces to make programming tutorial screencasts easier to find, navigate and practice with, by extracting source code edits from the raw videos.
- Error messages: augmenting the coding-debugging workflow with learning aids when a programmer is stuck and needs help – among the ways is adapting ELIZA (a chatbot that mimics a psychotherapist) to aid self-reflection.
- Chatbots: evaluating the design of a conversational agent for augmenting learn-to-code UIs in place of live help.
- Volo: prototyping a mobile app-based travel app from inception, along with a business plan and video sketch for launching a crowdfunding campaign.
- Permissions: designing a new model for Android apps that prevents misuse of permissions while reducing interruptions to the user.
- Wizard-of-Oz: enabling user testing with frontend-only web prototypes, by helping a facilitator imitate backend logic and present new interface elements in real time.